WE LOVE BAMBOO SUNGLASSES!
Here at Grass, we are PASSIONATE about promoting that sustainable “green” lifestyle. For centuries people around the world have used bamboo to create all sorts of wonderful things. We think that it’s about time that we tap into this amazing resource. Not only is bamboo environmentally friendly, but with an average growth rate of 60cm a day, it totally sustainable too.
Without any further adue, we would like to introduce to you our rad GRASS SUNGLASSES.
Our frames are hand crafted from recycled bamboo, and all of our lenses are polarised; so your peepers will be 100% protected when you’re out in the sunshine, doing your thing.
Every pair of sunnies is unique, as each has been lovingly crafted from unique pieces of bamboo.
Our sunglasses are hardy, yet light-weight buggers, made from organic, natural and sustainable bamboo. Not only are they good for mother earth, but they’re good for your eyes too! Every pair of glasses comes complete with UV400 protection, tested and given the CE stamp of approval.
FRAME: hand crafted using organic, natural and sustainable bamboo
HINGES: copper alloy spring hinge to allow for flexibility in size
LENS: CE certified UV400 TAC polarised lenses
What is a TAC polarised lens?
Traiacetate Cellulose or TAC Polarised Lenses feature a new lens technology formulated for superior visual and polarisation clarity. They are hard coated to resist scratching and block out 99% of all harmful UV rays up to 400 nanometers.
These lens are very lightweight and highly impact resistant and come standard with all of our sunglasses
Bamboo is deeply rooted in the daily life of many cultures. Bamboo culture always plays a positive role in encouraging people to hold on when facing tough situations.
The origin of the word “Bamboo” is said to come from the Malaysian and Indonesian people. The word is said to represent the sound made when bamboo explodes on an open flame. Due to hollow nature of bamboo, when bamboo is heated, the air in the sealed hollow internode chambers expands and causes an explosive BAM-BOOM sound.
So, are you ready to be blown away? Here are 10 quick facts about bamboo:
- Bamboo is a GRASS, not a tree.
- The fastest growing bamboo grows up to 91 cm per day.
- Bamboo releases 35% more oxygen than the same amount of trees.
- There are over 1 475 species of bamboo.
- Bamboo grows on every continent, except Antarctica.
- Because it is naturally anti-bacterial and anti-fungal, bamboo does not need harmful/poisonous pesticides or fertilizers to grow.
- Bamboo has a higher tensile strength than steel (tensile strength is the ability to withstand stress), making it useful building material for earthquake zones.
- Thomas Edison’s first successful light bulb used a bamboo filament.
- Alexander Graham Bell made the first phonographic needle out of bamboo.
- Bamboo reduces rain run-off and prevents soil erosion through its extensive root system and large canopy